D-238 and D-239

Owner: Rose McKenney
1940 Census: R. O. Muschany, age 56, farmer
                         Antoinette Muschany, age 46
                         Lloyd William, age 21, farm labor
                         John Edward, age 18, farm labor
Location: 695358  4282424  (on Lost Valley Trail in Weldon Spring C. A.)
Acreage: 55.65 (D-238) and 7.85 (D-239)
Contract price: $2,460 (D-238) and 240.00 (D-239)
D-238 condemned on April 9, 1941, and D-239 sold on July 24, 1941
Condemnation price: $1,400 (D-238)
Cemetery: Muschany
Today: daffodils; top of stone well is visible.  According to a former resident, there is a spring on D-239 and another on D-238, behind the cemetery.

 Click here to see photos of this farm and its environs over several decades prior to 1936.
To read the recollections of a woman who lived in this area as a young girl, click here.

A few hundred yards beyond the Otmar Oberdieck home, Little Femme Osage Creek and Muschany Hollow Road both turned to the left or west.  Just past the turn was the hollow farmed for several decades in the nineteenth century by multiple generations of the Muschany family, from whom the road derived its name.  In 1888 John Keller had purchased the farm, and by 1940 it was known as "The Keller Place."  In 1940 this farm was owned by John Keller's daughter, Rose Keller McKenney.  Bob and Nettie Muschany were living on the farm in 1940, acting as caretakers for the McKenneys, who were living in St. Louis with their three children.  The cemetery located on the property belonged to the family of Bob Muschany (see D-224), whose ancestors originally owned the land and built the house.
     The above right photograph, taken in 1941, shows Gilbert and Rose McKenney in front of a car purchased by them with money received from the sale of her farm.

John Keller's mule "Jack," one of the farm animals that had to be relocated when
the McKenney property was sold in 1941.  He is shown here at his new home on Old Colony Road
Approaching the farm, on Muschany Hollow Road
As of 2011, some of these trees still stand.

Bob and Nettie Muschany
John Edward Muschany
Lloyd Muschany
The home in the early 1920's