Fridley page 13

[St. Louis Star-Times, November 1, 1941]

            The town of Hamburg which will disappear from the community when the munitions plant is erected.

            C. E. Stumberg, who for eighteen years has carried the mail on Hamburg Route 1. His home and riding stables are both within the tract and he is reluctant to move. Most of his mail route lies within the area, also.

            “There is nothing new about this gun powder business around here,” according to Adam Schneider, who will be ninety-three years old in December, and who has lived in this house for fifty years. “During the Civil War there was a gun powder plant in the hollow just back of Hamburg.” This house, near Toonerville, was built in 1842 and is five years older than Mr. Schneider.

            The Francis Howell High School, on County Highway D, near the village of Howell, probably will be used as administration quarters for engineers and builders, soon to arrive. Hollenbeck, superintendent, said closing of the school will create a serious problem for 115 students who come from miles around. A survey disclosed all other nearby high schools already filled to capacity.

            This is the farm house of Tom Rogers, executive of the Chamber of Commerce of St. Louis, which labored to bring the big munitions plant to St. Charles County. His house and farm will go the way of all others within the limits of the tract.

            “He can’t imagine a world without Hamburg.” This was the opinion of L. E. Wackher, 49 (left), and Paul T. Schneider, 40 (right), who with Postmaster Theodore Seib, 64, who was in St. Charles at the time, operate the general merchandise store in Hamburg. They will have to close or move their store. (Star-Times Photos)